The DDB-type brace is used for treating scoliosis and kyphosis. An underarm, thoracic lumbar brace, made of a thermoplastic hypoallergenic material.
The anterior duraluminium bars, posterior metallic reinforcements, metallic derotation blades as well as lateral pressures in the internal walls, achieve the tridimensional corrective action of the DDB brace.
It has the ability to raise the shoulders and brings about on one hand variations in the lateral scoliotic curvatures of the spine, on the other hand, corrections of rotational deformations of the ribs in the chest (lateral humps) and rotational deformations of the spine in the lower back (lumbar prominence).
The DDB brace story started in the early 80s with the Director of the Scoliosis Unit of the KAT hospital, Dimitris Antoniou, as a modern modification of the Boston brace and was completed in cooperation with Dr Ioannis Valavanis.
It was presented for the first time in 1986, in the Bermudas, at the British Scoliosis Society (BSS) and Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) conference. It is also known as the Greek brace.
A pioneering and innovative at the time brace, it took its name from the initials of the words Dynamic Derotation Brace.
With small aesthetic differentiations of the Boston brace and more derotational reinforcements, a posterior central pressure and the possibility to raise the shoulders, the DDB brace achieves the correction of lumbar and rotational deformities, guaranteeing a conservative rehabilitation, in scoliosis and kyphosis.
The Scoliosis SLC centre offers the following services free of charge during the treatment:
- Formetric 4D measurement to control the corrections while we keep a follow-up protocol from the first visit.
- Repeated controls in order to enhance the pressures and relieves because of the somatometric variations brought forth by growth and the correction of the spine due to the use of the brace.
- Choice of pattern and colour.
- Special undershirt, long, hypoallergenic, 100% cotton, made in Greece, seamless, in order to avoid any irritation.
- Instructions on the use and maintenance of the brace.
- Transportation bag.
- 2-year warranty.
The duration of use, the time-table and the type of brace are set on a case-by-case basis, always in collaboration with the treating physician and the orthopaedics technician specialist at our centre.